Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ready, Set, Sew

I've been missing the cord for my sewing machine presser foot since Christmas.  I knew exactly what happened to it.  It was while we were crammed into the little rental house for 6 months.  Our dining room, if you can call it that, also doubled as a home office and tripled as my craft room.  I noticed it missing while we were packing for our final move.  I asked Gary to look through the ginormous boxes of cords he had sittting under the desk.  I continued packing and was confident he would find it when we finally unpacked everything for good.  I've asked him about it about 100 times since we've moved.  He's always responded "I don't have it."  Of course I knew that wasn't true so last weekend I went into "crackdown" mode.  That means "I can't find it" will not be accepted as an answer.

It took a while but he finally found it in a "computer parts" bag in his car.  So now...Let the sewing begin!  I'm doing a super cute quilt pattern that uses reproduction vintage fabrics.  The colors are mostly soft muted tones with contrasting brown and deep coral for that great pop of color.  The pattern itself is really interesting.  It's a basic pinwheel pattern.  The picture above shows what the block look likes after trimming off the corners. The picture below shows the completed block in yellow.  It's coming together quickly so I should have the top done by the end of the weekend.  Only 30 more blocks to go!

Not too much going on in the way of farm news.  We are putting up an electric fence for the dogs in the hopes of keeping Otis from killing any more chickens.  He killed my favorite hen, Sleepers.  I was completely heartbroken.  I miss seeing her perched on the fence waiting for me to come and pet her.  I have another Blue Andalusian in the group of chickens in the barn but they aren't as friendly as the chickens in the coop by the house.  We handled them so much as chicks and hand fed them.  My hubby calls me the chicken lady because the minute I walk out the front door the chickens come running.  I've been trying to give the chickens in the barn equal time so I have been bringing them treats.  Yesterday I went into the barn with a loaf of bread.  I started ripping off little pieces and tossing it towards them.  My older chickens fight over any little tidbit I throw them so  I was a little startled and slightly offended when the chickens in the barn ran away like I was assaulting them.  I'm pretty sure they thought I was throwing the bread at them not to them.  What to do now?   Thankfully my older chickens have been visiting the barn and mingling with the younger crowd.  Hopefully they'll teach them a thing or two, like how to enjoy the treats thrown to you!  Crazy chickens!



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Now you are a farmer's wife!!!! I love the fabric, Michelle and I love the design. You do nice points. If you have a Harbor Freight in your neck of the woods, you can buy carpet rotary blades - 45 mm for $ 1.45 for a package of two. I got ten for me and ten for my friend. Should be going out to Signal Hills when they call that they have more in. Do you want some? Let me know! Just finished my 15 blocks for a quilt too. All stars! Your quilt is going to be beautiful and who is it for? Love, your Mother-in-law!!!!!

    ReplyDelete